Drawn with MICRON
~3 hours of work
This last September, the Joshua Center for Neurological Disorders held the 29th annual PorkOut auction dinner. I entered another drawing of a pig into the auction, along with another “drawing of the highest bidder’s choice” and raised $100 more than last year. The pig raised $500, the other item raised $600 (split among two bidders). This totals $2100 dollars between 2012 and 2013! I’m glad to be helping the Joshua Center. Props to Becky Ottinger for all the hard work she has put into building up the organization and keeping it running smoothly. You can find out about her work here.
I’ve worked a month and a half on this drawing. One of my best yet. I took this photograph on a hike to the top of Han’s Peak in Steamboat, Colorado. He’s wearing my pair of mirrored Premium Knockaround sunglasses, so I thought it would be a cool picture. I set a high exposure and shutter speed. The drawing is done in graphite.
This was my biggest project yet. It was an auction item in a fundraiser for the Joshua Center (the same place as the one I drew cartoons for last summer). Between this and the pig [link], I raised $1000. This has taken me since last October and it has been my longest and most difficult project. The trees took the most time, they had to precise. Although it seems like the paneling would have been harder, the paneling is simply filler and I just had to get it to look very close. This is my first drawing of any structure or building, and also the most background work I’ve done. I was pleased with the outcome. The barn was a family barn. They are planning on tearing it down due to its state of wear, and they wanted to present the drawing to their father. They said they liked it a lot. In fact, they’re going to salvage wood from the barn with which they will use to make the frame before tearing the barn down. (The photograph is underneath)
I visited Lawrence two weeks ago with my sister to deliver my drawing to Becky. She seemed to love it and she showed it off to a few friends :). I think I did a great job on it, but again, I did something slightly off. This time the nose was a little skinnier than in the photo. Sometimes I wish I could save draft versions on my pencil art and start from save points on new copies. Then I could see what looks best or what I should go with. That’s called Adobe Illustrator, though and it’s just not quite the same. Ah, well I’ll make do.
Today, I will finally start the horse project. The Mystery Project is done! …But I can’t share it yet. It will remain a mystery to all but the requester until it’s revealed. No more can be said. Except that it isn’t long before I show it. Anyway, I’ll keep things updated on the horse!
Hey guys! This news I’m sharing is a little old now. But anyway, I’ve got a new project on my hands. My sister rides horses often. Last Saturday, she requested that i come to take photos and a video of her while she cantered. I’ll post the video later if she lets me. Anyway, her riding instructor, Becky Buchanan started talking to me while molly finished getting her horse ready and mounting it. She asked me about my summer. I mentioned the job I was doing at the camp last week. We kept talking and I told her what kind of art I was good at. So she requested a portrait of her horse, Smoke. I would do the drawing in graphite. I’m going to update it often so stay tuned for photos.
Follow my blog if you aren’t already so you can receive art updates and news!
Finals ended Wednesday! Hard to believe they were only 4 days ago. Anyway, I’m starting a couple new projects. The first is for a big occasion, done in graphite on 14×17 paper but I can’t say anything more about it. It’s a surprise!
I will draw this on 14×17 paper in graphite.
It’s been so long! All this week I haven’t found any time for updates. Studying for finals has kept me very busy. My last final is on Wednesday and then I’ll be a junior! Anyway, regarding art, I haven’t gotten much done lately. I’ve made almost no progress on the cat. However, I’ve added a lot to the “Dog Named Peaches” drawing. I moved the eye down a tad bit but it’s looking great. The original is from the DeviantArt user, littlebear1337 and this is the photo.
I’ve got a lot of catching up to do. You can see just how bad I am about finishing my art from my latest posts:
First, there’s my eagle. It may appear finished or “purposely unfinished” but looks can be deceiving. The head is the most intricate part I have to detail. (And that’s the case with most human/animal subjects). That’s a good thing. Now can go back and continue to smooth out and fill in. I didn’t get past what I currently have, because I only had printouts of two sections of the birds head. When I didn’t have time to print, my interest ran low and I moved to the dog.
As for the dog, you can still say it looks “artistically unfinished”. But again, the rest of the photo is background. I want background. the art just doesn’t look quite as realistic if you don’t incorporate the out-of -focus parts of the image. It adds depth of field making it look more photorealistic.
The more recent cat drawing has a deadline, Sunday. That’s a little more incentive to finish. I’ve still got two in-focus legs and an out-of-focus body. I can’t wait to see Charlotte’s reaction. I’ll upload any additions tomorrow.
I drew a little something tonight. I don’t know if I was trying to incorporate meaning into it or not. I just saw one of those “Objects in mirror are closer than they appear” labels and drew a symbolic sketch based off of it. Stay tuned to see it tomorrow. I just didn’t have time to scan the picture tonight. That’s all for today folks!