Drawn with MICRON
~3 hours of work
This last September, the Joshua Center for Neurological Disorders held the 29th annual PorkOut auction dinner. I entered another drawing of a pig into the auction, along with another “drawing of the highest bidder’s choice” and raised $100 more than last year. The pig raised $500, the other item raised $600 (split among two bidders). This totals $2100 dollars between 2012 and 2013! I’m glad to be helping the Joshua Center. Props to Becky Ottinger for all the hard work she has put into building up the organization and keeping it running smoothly. You can find out about her work here.
I’ve worked a month and a half on this drawing. One of my best yet. I took this photograph on a hike to the top of Han’s Peak in Steamboat, Colorado. He’s wearing my pair of mirrored Premium Knockaround sunglasses, so I thought it would be a cool picture. I set a high exposure and shutter speed. The drawing is done in graphite.
I’ve sort been procrastinating on this project. I’ve focused more on the drawing than updating this. In a few hours I will post my project.
As for what I chose was the scene in which the split fellowship passed through the Gates of Argonath.
I managed to get most of the outlining of both statues, with a lot of shading, and also the boats carrying Boromir, Aragorn, Frodo, and Sam. I will be continuing the project after it is graded. I have my own form of media, my art, and the internet has changed the way I am able to deliver it. I hope you all enjoy seeing my art updates, because without the help of the internet and blogging websites, my audience would be far more limited. Most importantly, it allows me to access my own art, in order to show people what kind of work I’ve done, regardless of where I am.
Here is the drawing:
I will be starting a new project soon. For a while, my sister has been pestering me to draw her a portrait of her and her favorite horse, Marika. The last horse I drew (link) was for a woman named Becky Buchanan. She’s my sister’s riding instructor and has been since my sister started in about second grade. In fact, I had a year of lessons from her when I was in fifth grade. Marika left just last year, and she’s been wanting me to draw this picture of her with Marika. I’m going to work on getting it done by the end of May, for her birthday (we’re twins).
It will be a tricky project because when I took the picture, I accidentally had the HDR feature on. This causes the camera to take three exposures at a time (in three different brightness levels) and combine them. It creates a nice light filled effect. However, you can see on the ear, places on the bridle, eye, and especially the reins, that they are unusually overlapped. I’ll do my best to cut those extra pieces out.
This was my biggest project yet. It was an auction item in a fundraiser for the Joshua Center (the same place as the one I drew cartoons for last summer). Between this and the pig [link], I raised $1000. This has taken me since last October and it has been my longest and most difficult project. The trees took the most time, they had to precise. Although it seems like the paneling would have been harder, the paneling is simply filler and I just had to get it to look very close. This is my first drawing of any structure or building, and also the most background work I’ve done. I was pleased with the outcome. The barn was a family barn. They are planning on tearing it down due to its state of wear, and they wanted to present the drawing to their father. They said they liked it a lot. In fact, they’re going to salvage wood from the barn with which they will use to make the frame before tearing the barn down. (The photograph is underneath)
I visited Lawrence two weeks ago with my sister to deliver my drawing to Becky. She seemed to love it and she showed it off to a few friends :). I think I did a great job on it, but again, I did something slightly off. This time the nose was a little skinnier than in the photo. Sometimes I wish I could save draft versions on my pencil art and start from save points on new copies. Then I could see what looks best or what I should go with. That’s called Adobe Illustrator, though and it’s just not quite the same. Ah, well I’ll make do.
Best one yet! I finished this last weekend. This has been my most realistic by far. Specifically because of the background element. Without the surroundings, the subject looks merely like a portrait. For example, the horse looked incredible when it was finished, but it was definitely just a portrait. With the background, it would have better achieved photorealism. The Lighting in the background is what adds that element of photorealism. I always seem to get something wrong. In this drawing, it was the nose. Just a bit to long.
If you are part of the Keller family, or know Sureva , don’t ruin the surprise! I wan’t to see Granny’s reaction :)