I am in AP studio art this year. It requires me to create 24 drawings (12 anything, 12 are a concentration) and this is one. It’s based off a photograph I took in Steamboat, Colorado over the summer, along the trails at Fish Creek Falls. The paper is 4×6″ done in graphite.
I’ve worked a month and a half on this drawing. One of my best yet. I took this photograph on a hike to the top of Han’s Peak in Steamboat, Colorado. He’s wearing my pair of mirrored Premium Knockaround sunglasses, so I thought it would be a cool picture. I set a high exposure and shutter speed. The drawing is done in graphite.
I’ve sort been procrastinating on this project. I’ve focused more on the drawing than updating this. In a few hours I will post my project.
As for what I chose was the scene in which the split fellowship passed through the Gates of Argonath.
I managed to get most of the outlining of both statues, with a lot of shading, and also the boats carrying Boromir, Aragorn, Frodo, and Sam. I will be continuing the project after it is graded. I have my own form of media, my art, and the internet has changed the way I am able to deliver it. I hope you all enjoy seeing my art updates, because without the help of the internet and blogging websites, my audience would be far more limited. Most importantly, it allows me to access my own art, in order to show people what kind of work I’ve done, regardless of where I am.
Here is the drawing:
This was my biggest project yet. It was an auction item in a fundraiser for the Joshua Center (the same place as the one I drew cartoons for last summer). Between this and the pig [link], I raised $1000. This has taken me since last October and it has been my longest and most difficult project. The trees took the most time, they had to precise. Although it seems like the paneling would have been harder, the paneling is simply filler and I just had to get it to look very close. This is my first drawing of any structure or building, and also the most background work I’ve done. I was pleased with the outcome. The barn was a family barn. They are planning on tearing it down due to its state of wear, and they wanted to present the drawing to their father. They said they liked it a lot. In fact, they’re going to salvage wood from the barn with which they will use to make the frame before tearing the barn down. (The photograph is underneath)
I visited Lawrence two weeks ago with my sister to deliver my drawing to Becky. She seemed to love it and she showed it off to a few friends :). I think I did a great job on it, but again, I did something slightly off. This time the nose was a little skinnier than in the photo. Sometimes I wish I could save draft versions on my pencil art and start from save points on new copies. Then I could see what looks best or what I should go with. That’s called Adobe Illustrator, though and it’s just not quite the same. Ah, well I’ll make do.
Best one yet! I finished this last weekend. This has been my most realistic by far. Specifically because of the background element. Without the surroundings, the subject looks merely like a portrait. For example, the horse looked incredible when it was finished, but it was definitely just a portrait. With the background, it would have better achieved photorealism. The Lighting in the background is what adds that element of photorealism. I always seem to get something wrong. In this drawing, it was the nose. Just a bit to long.
If you are part of the Keller family, or know Sureva , don’t ruin the surprise! I wan’t to see Granny’s reaction :)
If you’ve been following hints about the mystery project, you wont have to wait any longer for it. A few months ago, I was asked by my aunt and uncle to do a portrait. But this portrait, like I said, was drawn for a very important event in most peoples lives. My cousin got married this weekend. He and his wife are both in the Air Force, so I included both the aircraft that they fly. My cousin flies a C130J Hercules cargo plane and his wife flies an HH60 helicopter. I used photoshop to position the cropped aircraft behind them. I then used the template I created to draw from. I feel like it’s my best yet.
Here’s a photo took when I finished.
I will scan the higher-detailed version very soon. I’d love some criticism, too
Today, I will finally start the horse project. The Mystery Project is done! …But I can’t share it yet. It will remain a mystery to all but the requester until it’s revealed. No more can be said. Except that it isn’t long before I show it. Anyway, I’ll keep things updated on the horse!
Hey guys! This news I’m sharing is a little old now. But anyway, I’ve got a new project on my hands. My sister rides horses often. Last Saturday, she requested that i come to take photos and a video of her while she cantered. I’ll post the video later if she lets me. Anyway, her riding instructor, Becky Buchanan started talking to me while molly finished getting her horse ready and mounting it. She asked me about my summer. I mentioned the job I was doing at the camp last week. We kept talking and I told her what kind of art I was good at. So she requested a portrait of her horse, Smoke. I would do the drawing in graphite. I’m going to update it often so stay tuned for photos.
Follow my blog if you aren’t already so you can receive art updates and news!
So I used Windows Live Movie Maker and put all the progress photos for the dog into a video.