I will be starting a new project soon. For a while, my sister has been pestering me to draw her a portrait of her and her favorite horse, Marika. The last horse I drew (link) was for a woman named Becky Buchanan. She’s my sister’s riding instructor and has been since my sister started in about second grade. In fact, I had a year of lessons from her when I was in fifth grade. Marika left just last year, and she’s been wanting me to draw this picture of her with Marika. I’m going to work on getting it done by the end of May, for her birthday (we’re twins).
It will be a tricky project because when I took the picture, I accidentally had the HDR feature on. This causes the camera to take three exposures at a time (in three different brightness levels) and combine them. It creates a nice light filled effect. However, you can see on the ear, places on the bridle, eye, and especially the reins, that they are unusually overlapped. I’ll do my best to cut those extra pieces out.
This was my biggest project yet. It was an auction item in a fundraiser for the Joshua Center (the same place as the one I drew cartoons for last summer). Between this and the pig [link], I raised $1000. This has taken me since last October and it has been my longest and most difficult project. The trees took the most time, they had to precise. Although it seems like the paneling would have been harder, the paneling is simply filler and I just had to get it to look very close. This is my first drawing of any structure or building, and also the most background work I’ve done. I was pleased with the outcome. The barn was a family barn. They are planning on tearing it down due to its state of wear, and they wanted to present the drawing to their father. They said they liked it a lot. In fact, they’re going to salvage wood from the barn with which they will use to make the frame before tearing the barn down. (The photograph is underneath)
I visited Lawrence two weeks ago with my sister to deliver my drawing to Becky. She seemed to love it and she showed it off to a few friends :). I think I did a great job on it, but again, I did something slightly off. This time the nose was a little skinnier than in the photo. Sometimes I wish I could save draft versions on my pencil art and start from save points on new copies. Then I could see what looks best or what I should go with. That’s called Adobe Illustrator, though and it’s just not quite the same. Ah, well I’ll make do.
Best one yet! I finished this last weekend. This has been my most realistic by far. Specifically because of the background element. Without the surroundings, the subject looks merely like a portrait. For example, the horse looked incredible when it was finished, but it was definitely just a portrait. With the background, it would have better achieved photorealism. The Lighting in the background is what adds that element of photorealism. I always seem to get something wrong. In this drawing, it was the nose. Just a bit to long.
If you are part of the Keller family, or know Sureva , don’t ruin the surprise! I wan’t to see Granny’s reaction 🙂
If you’ve been following hints about the mystery project, you wont have to wait any longer for it. A few months ago, I was asked by my aunt and uncle to do a portrait. But this portrait, like I said, was drawn for a very important event in most peoples lives. My cousin got married this weekend. He and his wife are both in the Air Force, so I included both the aircraft that they fly. My cousin flies a C130J Hercules cargo plane and his wife flies an HH60 helicopter. I used photoshop to position the cropped aircraft behind them. I then used the template I created to draw from. I feel like it’s my best yet.
Here’s a photo took when I finished.
I will scan the higher-detailed version very soon. I’d love some criticism, too
I have an update on the horse. It’s head is mostly finished. The ears need work. So far, I’ve done a good job with the hair. Hair is normally hard, along with anything that lacks detail because changing the shade correctly takes a lot of work.
If you have time, watch this. While browsing YouTube, I came across this amazing video. A 16 year old built this mansion from 8,000 Popsicle sticks. He started when he was 14 and finished when he was 15. Very impressive
Today, I will finally start the horse project. The Mystery Project is done! …But I can’t share it yet. It will remain a mystery to all but the requester until it’s revealed. No more can be said. Except that it isn’t long before I show it. Anyway, I’ll keep things updated on the horse!
So I’ve been doing a bit more drawing for Becky Ottinger. However, this time I’ve been working on the computer. So I will post not only pictures of the finished, but also, a couple videos. I used the HyperCam screen recorder to take the videos. I’ll need to find a to speed up the videos. Some skip around because once or twice I would forget to resume recording after getting off task. Anyway I’ll edit them soon and upload them when I can. also, I’m continuing the mystery project but the unveiling wont be for another month or so.
Hey guys! This news I’m sharing is a little old now. But anyway, I’ve got a new project on my hands. My sister rides horses often. Last Saturday, she requested that i come to take photos and a video of her while she cantered. I’ll post the video later if she lets me. Anyway, her riding instructor, Becky Buchanan started talking to me while molly finished getting her horse ready and mounting it. She asked me about my summer. I mentioned the job I was doing at the camp last week. We kept talking and I told her what kind of art I was good at. So she requested a portrait of her horse, Smoke. I would do the drawing in graphite. I’m going to update it often so stay tuned for photos.
Follow my blog if you aren’t already so you can receive art updates and news!